Bon Secours St. Francis Health System
Using the practices of Facilitative Leadership©, Bon Secours achieved impressive results in record time.
Bon Secours St. Francis Health System in Greenville, S.C., sought to innovate a fundamentally new approach to patient care, at the same time it implemented a new electronic records system called Bon Secours ConnectCare®.
How Interaction Associates Helped
The Chief Medical Officer at St. Francis, Dr. Mary Jo Cagle, looked to internal St. Francis resources to achieve those transformational goals, adopting Interaction Associates’ Facilitative Leadership© skills as the means. In particular, she was focused on effective “visioning” skills as one of the seven key leadership practices within this program.
Dr. Cagle said: “Our challenge was simple and ambitious at the same time -- we wanted to deliver the right care, at the right time, to the right patient. . . while minimizing the disruption that conversion to electronic records might cause. To succeed at this dramatic change, we needed to engage everyone across the spectrum -– from our leaders to the people at the bedside delivering care.”
Return On Involvement
In just six months, St. Francis achieved impressive results — much faster than the average of two years it takes most hospital systems to achieve similar goals from implementing electronic records. For example, Bon Secours leaders:
1. Reduced hospital-acquired infections by 33% (84 patients annually).
2. Engaged a wide range of stakeholders (including housekeeping, pharmacists, chaplains, and palliative care nurses), to improve ICU care and reduce stay times.
3. Cut re-admissions of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and acute renal care patients by 50%.
4. Negotiated with stakeholders to improve the patient environment at the diagnostics and therapeutics unit.
5. Improved physician satisfaction.
6. Increased bed availability.
7. Shortened the average patient stay.
IA Services Provided
- Team Immersion in Facilitative Leadership© Practices.
Project at a Glance
A leading health care organization
Named 2010 Leapfrog Top Hospital
The Mission Statement of Bon Secours St. Francis Health System is to bring compassion to health care and to be Good Help to Those in Need®
We'd Love to Hear From You
Talk to one of our experts to see what we can do for your company.Let's Talk